New Jersey Association of Museums
The Peter Mott House would like to use a tablet for visitors to sign in. We have web access and wonder what's the best and easiest way to capture guests' information. Examples or suggested programs would be much appreciated.
Great question - and good for you that you're moving away from paper sign in! A few considerations:
- What visitor info are you trying to capture? (Address, email, etc?)
- What do you plan to do with the info you're capturing?
- What systems do you use now for membership databases, newsletter mailing, etc.? You might want to choose a method of capturing data on the tablet that corresponds to these systems to make it easy to transfer the info.
- Will the visitor be filling this out themselves, or will someone assist them in doing filling out the form on the tablet?
The answers to these questions could inform what system you choose to capture the data you want on the tablet.
That said, if you just want to get everything into a spreadsheet, you might want to just create a Google Form (or a Microsoft Form), which deposits the info into a spreadsheet. Spreadsheets can then be sorted or organized for analysis that you might want for reports. These forms are pretty easy to use and people are fairly familiar with how to fill them out.
Curious if anyone else has a specific program or another method of capturing data.
- Claudia Ocello, Museum Partners Consulting, LLC
SurveyMonkey is also a good option (although not free) if you're collecting demographic information. SurveyMonkey can analyze collection data, allow multiple users and has the option to accept payments (through Stripe) so you could use it as a possible donation option as well for your organization.
One thing to keep in mind as you're considering the data to collect is the length of the survey. Keeping it under 5 minutes (ideally under 3!) will considerably cut down on wait times (unless you have multiple tablets?) and will likely result in more completed surveys.
New Jersey Association of Museums, 555 Grand Ave., PO Box 77316, Ewing, NJ 08628